Saturday, February 24, 2007

Two Cool Applets for 3D visualization

I recently stumbled across these two applets for helping students with 3D visualization. The first one gives you a 3D object, and you have to manipulate it so that you are viewing the appropriate side view. The second one is slightly more complex. In it you have to build a 3d object based on its top, front, and side views. This is a perfect example of what I like to see in a virtual manipulative: the content is truly interactive, it is much easier than doing the same thing with pencil and paper, and although it does have a component of repetitve practice it is in the context of student manipulated content. I would suggest using them in the following order:

1) Rotating 3D shapes to see a particular side view: http://www.fi.uu.nl/toepassingen/00247/toepassing_wisweb.en.html

2) Building 3D shapes based on side and top views: http://www.fi.uu.nl/toepassingen/02015/toepassing_wisweb.en.html

2 comments:

Tintagel said...

If you like Geogebra and these applets as well, I think you will be likewise blown away by Google's SketchUp. It's a 3D modeling program that is 100% FREE and incredibly intuitive and powerful. http://sketchup.google.com

Pretty Slug said...

Hi David,

I think you have done an outstanding job. One of my college teachers made a huge impact on me about the use of technology, so Interactive is how i prefer to teach.

Question, Last month I was able click on your Interactive Manipulatives tab, and now access isn't available. Is this a permanent or temporary thing? Now that I've seen them all the others I have don't compare. Is there any way I can get a copy of them?

Jenn Maughan
PrettySlug@gmail.com